I hate wearing work gloves. It always feels like my hand mobility has been reduced to nothing when those suckers are on. It’s an issue that needs to be resolved before I end up in the emergency room, though, as I have a nice gash on my thumb resulting from the aforementioned stubbornness. Aside from minor injuries, this windmill project made my heart happy. Totally loving the look of windmills and this was made from materials that we had on hand. Notice the caution warning on the roll of aluminum below. Rebel without a cause. 😉
Since I don’t have any metal cutting scissors, I used regular scissors to cut the blades from the aluminum and they worked beautifully. I drew a template and used this to cut out all 12 blades. I then hole punched each blade at the top, strong them on thick wire, and laid them on the table to form a circle. The two ends of my circle were twisted together and secured with duct tape. The goal was to hide the duct tape behind a blade but once you paint your windmill, it’s hard to notice regardless. Duct tape is a worker of miracles, my friends.
For the center portion, I cut out the bottom of a coffee can and cut a hole large enough to insert a mason jar lid. I then used small wire nails to secure the blades to the coffee can. I mixed together a rusty looking color of paint and applied to both sides of the windmill. I then sprinkled on some sand and finished coating with a light silver paint. Once you brush off the sand, you’ll see that the rust shines through in patches and looks amazing.
It was hung up on a chicken wire frame and it adds the perfect amount of barnyard goodness to this corner. I think the cat agrees. 🙂
Wishing you and yours all the best!